.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Way Back When

-A A +A
By Robin Smiley

10 years ago . . .
Births announced this week are: Haley Annette Fryman, Oct. 1, daughter of Lisa Annette Power and Luther Herbert Fryman; Hunter Nathaniel Gaunce, Oct. 7, son of Tony and Christin Gaunce; Katelyn Denise Robinson, Sept. 28, daughter of William N. and Alicia D. Robinson.
Atkinson’s Florist and Greenhouse to hold open house for the exciting changes going on.
Cynthiana Kiwanis Club plans Christmas variety show for Dec. 1.

25 years ago . . .
Births announced this week are: Jacob Adison Messmer, Oct. 7, son of Tony and Hazel Messmer; Nathan Thomas Honican, Oct. 5, son of Lee and Retha Honican; Marissa Kay Wooten, Oct. 7, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Remus Wooten; Aaron Scott Clinkenbeard, Sept. 29, son of Buddy and Linda Clinkenbeard.
The board of health to investigate Cynthiana landfill.
An application has been submitted to the Federal Aviation Administration (FFA) seeking airspace clearance for a reliever airport to meet the needs of Harrison, Scott and Fayette counties.
• The University of Kentucky did not obtain that name until 1916. The institution began as A. and M. College and had its name changed to State University in 1908.

50 years ago . . .
Births announced this week are: Sherrie Ann and Terrie Allen Moore, Oct. 6, twins of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Moore; Jacqueline Louise Stakelin, Oct. 6, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Stakelin; Donna Raye Frederick, Oct. 6, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Michael Frederick; Shelia Rose Barnett, Oct. 6, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Estill Barnett; Emma Christine Curtis, Oct. 2, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Bobbie Curtis; Daniel Martin Goldstein, son of Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Goldstein; Marlon Kenneth Waits, Sept. 18, son of Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Ray Waits; Robin Renee Wolfe, Sept. 18, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Marvin Wolfe.
The old L & N Depot at Cynthiana is being razed this week. Plans for the future use of the property have not be announced. The depot was built in 1892 and was enlarged in 1912. The L & N Railroad was built here in 1854. Before that time, the Main Licking River was the chief means of transporting goods with many tons of farm products being floated to points along the Ohio River.
Connersville School is now using educational television to supplement regular instruction. The school has seven specially designed 23-inch set for reception of the educational programs. The programs are televised from a plane circling at 23,000 feet over Montpelier, Ind. The total cost of the Connersville educational television program establishment was $2,625 which included seven sets, stands for the sets, boosters which enable all sets to receive from one antenna and the 50-foot tower. Charles Tribble is the principal.
Dr. James R. Watkins, Lexington optometrist who practices in Cynthiana each Saturday, has developed a new contact lens computer which reportedly promises to revolutionize contact lens fitting. The method took two and one-half years of research and has been validated both clinically and statistically, and found to contain less than one percent error.
Douglas McLoney & Son Co., South Church Street, has opened their new feed mill and are  holding their grand opening.