10 years ago . . .
Births announced this week are: Johnathan William Denniston, Feb. 25, son of Johnathan and Cheree Denniston.
A retired geologist addresses the Harrison County Fiscal Court concering a water project that might help alleviate water shortage problems. Building a reservior somewhere along the South Licking River Watershed in order to guarantee a long-term water supply.
The Cynthiana Police Department moves to their new offices behind City Hall. The police dispatchers will remain in their current office.
A traffic light has been installed at the intersection of US 27 S and US 62 W.
B & M Floor Service located at 201 N. Main St., is now open for business. Owner/operator is Billy Moore.
Georgetown’s Carolina Pottery, loated in Outlet Center Drive, is going out of business.
25 years ago . . .
Births announced this week are: Natasha Marie Caudill, March 24, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Steve Caudill.
An award of $10,000 from the Area Development Fund to the City of Cynthiana toward purchase of a garbage-packer truck.
The newest business in Harrison County is now open. Southside Auto Sales is located 2 miles south of Cynthiana on U.S. 27. Owners are Delbert Vaughn and Charles Craycraft.
• The Harrison County jail was built in 1888. The 73-year-old jail received its first coat of outside paint over the rockwork in 1958.
• Christian County was named for Col. William Christian, a Virginian who fought in the American Revolution. He was killed by Indians in a battle north of the Ohio River in 1786.
50 years ago . . .
Births announced this week are: Mark Allen Doyle, March 27, son of Mr. and Mrs. Donald Doyle; Freddie Lane and Eddie Wayne Anderson, March 26, twin sons of Mr. and Mrs. John Anderson; Beth Sturgill Ritchie, Feb. 28, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Hobart Ritchie; Gary Edward Sowder, March 30, son of Mr. and Mrs. James Sowder; Barry S. O’Hara Fagan, March 27, son of Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Fagan; Rebecca Lynn Pratt, March 29, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wendell Pratt; a daughter was born March 26 to Lt. and Mrs. David L. Florence; Roxanna Jane Courtney, March 29, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ronald Courtney; a son was born April 4 to Mr. and Mrs. Robert V. Sloan.
Southern Bell Telephone and Telegraph Company has purchased a lot at 211 W. Pleasant St. where they will construct an equipment office for dial conversion. The 100x210 ft. lot was bought for $22,000.
With the vacant spot left at the Hotel by Southern Bell, the Cynthiana-Harrison County Chamber of Commerce will move into it from their present location next door. Robert Smith and Ollie Turner have decided to move their Main Street Barber Shop to the old C of C office.
George W. Fryman, Leesburg Road, presented an organ to the Mt. Hope Methodist Church, Connersville Road, on Palm Sunday.
The Farmers National Bank Drive-in Unit is now open, located on the corner of Bridge and South Main Sts.
Cynthiana Lodge No. 438 will celebrate its 63rd anniversary with formal ceremonies.
Audrey’s Beauty Salon, 122 W. Pleasant St., now called Marty’s Beauty Salon, is now under new ownership and management. Mrs. Chester Magee is the new owner.
Lerman Bros. is running a spectacular 88 cent sale: girls dresses, $2.88; boys’ sport shirts, 88 cents; Cannon towels, 2 for 88 cents; women’s blouses (frilly and tailored) $1.88.
• Harrison County contains a total of 193,336 acres.
• More and more Americans are eating out. Each week, 48 million persons in the United States eat away from home.