The Sunrise Homemakers Club wanted to do something different for their June outing. They brainstormed several ideas. What could they do that would cost little money and save energy? The idea of traveling in our own county made sense. Since the club originated in the Sunrise area, and several members of the club had never been to the northeast part of the county. Why not visit there?
We packed our lunch, secured a van and driver and off we went for the day. We traveled US 62 East to Claysville where we took Ky. Hwy. 1284 to Sunrise. What a grand time we had listening to stories from those that were born or had lived in the Sunrise area for many years. Memories were brought back and stories shared about families, neighbors, and communities that thrived over 100 years ago.
Our first stop was in the community of Sunrise (once called Pughsville). The community was once home to a bank, hotel, blacksmith shop, roller/grist mill (produced Snowball flour), doctor’s office (Dr. Todd Smiser started his practice in Sunrise), a high school and grade school, two churches, a craft store, two grocery/feed stores, and a creamery. From there we traveled down Pugh’s Ferry Road, past Moore’s Mill Road which ends at the Licking River. Pugh’s Ferry Road joins with Havilandsville Road at the fork and circles left along the river. Pugh’s Ferry Road ends at the river where a ferry was once a part of the river traffic. Once on the Havilandsville Road we made a pit stop at the home of Dan and Rose Clifford. This was the home place for the late Nelah Whiteker Clifford (former 50 year club member) and Emmett Clifford. The Dan and Ben Clifford families are the fifth generation to live on the Clifford land.
Our next stop was at Mount Gilead Christian Church located one mile off the Havilandsville Road. The 150 year old church was a lovely setting for our brown bag lunch. Shirley Dennis Moss (club member) grew up in this church and had many stories to share. After our brown bag lunch, pictures, and walks around the small cemetery we drove through the once thriving community of Havilandsville, settled by New York born, Robert S. Haviland (1796-1858) in 1832. Oral history states that Havilandsville was once a thriving community of 500 residents.
The following is from William Perrin’s History of Bourbon, Scott, Harrison and Nicholas counties, Ky., 1882. Havilandsville is located about 15 miles north of Cynthiana. Mr. Haviland was one of the most enterprising men ever in the precinct. He opened the first store in 1832. He put up a woolen and cotton factory in 1838, and manufactured jeans and lindseys for the Southern trade, which was transported by way of wagons, and raw cotton brought back in return.
He manufactured and shipped tobacco to New York, and also operated a large pork-packing establishment, butchering 800-2,000 hogs annually. These were made into bacon, and together with manufactured goods, were shipped south in flat-boats, the cargoes of which were often worth $60,000.
Mr. W.B. Arnold operated a large flour mill and wool-carding machine. Mr. W.D. Hickman was another prominent business man and later became postmaster after Mr. Haviland. Besides the above mentioned industries there were two stores, a blacksmith shop, post office, and a physician.”
Located a few miles across Richland Creek in Pendleton County is the old cemetery where Robert Haviland and over 100 families are buried that had lived in the Havilandsville community.
Again Moss and Gaye Marsh told of families and businesses that were a part of this community nestled along Richland Creek. They remembered stories shared by their families how the farmers would bring their crops and animals to the river where they were put on barges and sent downstream to Cincinnati for sale.
Our final drive was the circle back to the Sunrise community via Falmouth/Sunrise Road. We passed within a few miles of the Richland and Antioch communities. Once back in Sunrise and onto Ky. Hwy 1284 we drove through the Sunrise Cemetery where most families in the community were buried. We especially wanted to see the lovely church and school the Mennonite Community built and see the Extreme Makeover House that created much excitement a few years ago.
Our last stop was at the Grandview Country Store recently built by the Mennonite Community. After some snacks and drinks our driver brought us safely back to Cynthiana. We all agreed that it had been a fun day and we had learned a lot of history about the northern part of Harrison County.
Those that enjoyed the trip were, Betty Jean King, Donal VanHook, Ruby Neal, Gaye Marsh, Kathy Malone, Joyce Clifford, Doris Fryman, Shirley Moss, Rachel Mastin, and Rita Link our driver.