* Cynthiana News, Dec. 25, 1851 -- “We acknowledge the receipt of a present from I.T. Martin the shape of a can of Baltimore Cove Oysters. We appreciate such presents. Martin always keeps these ‘critters’ on hand. By the way, from the looks of things old ‘Santa Claus’ has made Martin his general agent. Martin’s is decidedly a variety and grocery store, full of everything, and running over with every manner of things belonging to Christmas times.”
* Log Cabin, Sept. 26, 1916 -- “The big steel door and frame for the new vault in the Harrison Deposit Bank building were hauled to the building yesterday, a big wagon and four horses being required for the purpose.”
* Peter Marshall -- “Lets not permit the crowds and all the rush crowd Christmas out of our hearts. . .for that is where it belongs. Christmas is not in the store - but in the hearts of people.”
* Cynthiana News, Sept. 19, 1872 -- Hon. Horace, the next President of the United States, will be at the Exposition in Cincinnati next Friday. Excursion tickets can be purchased on that day at the depot.”
* Log Cabin, Jan. 16, 1942 -- Advertisements -- “The New Rohs Opera House - Friday and Saturday, Jan. 16 and 17 - Laurel and Hardy in “Great Guns” and “Rohs Theatre - Saturday, Jan. 17 - Tim Holt in “Ridin the Wind” plus Comic and New Events.”
* Calvin Coolidge -- “Christmas is not a time nor a season, but a state of mind. To cherish peace and goodwill, to be plenteous in mercy is to have the real spirit of Christmas.”
For a Christmas outing, visit the Cynthiana-Harrison County Museum, Fridays and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.