.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Berry couple escape burning home last Thursday morning

-A A +A
By Ben Hyatt

Electrical issues was the contributing factor to a Thursday morning fire in Berry.

Berry, which has seen its fair share of fires in the past few years, caught a lucky break when firefighters were able to limit the amount of damage to a Second Street Berry home.

According to Harrison County Sheriff Deputy Robert Peak, a call was made to dispatch Thursday, May 9, at 6 a.m., for a structure fire at 309 Second St. in Berry.

“I had just come on for the shift when the call was made,” said Peak. “Both Sheriff Bruce Hampton and I drove to the residence.”

The home, which was being bought through a land contract by James Richardson, was currently being renovated by Richardson.

Harrison County Volunteer Fire Department Assistant Chief Charles Allen Carson said that the fire originated in an upstairs room.

“The fire, which is believed to have started due to bad wiring, was contained by firemen on scene,” said Carson. “The one room suffered fire and smoke damage as well as some water damage.”

Richardson and his girlfriend, Tonia Gullion, were both inside the home when the fire broke out.

However, both were able to exit the house with no injuries.

No foul play is suspected at this time and the case is listed as closed.